Last month on February 7, Crews responded to a wastewater overflow and found a leaking water pipe under the railroad crossing on Central Avenue. Below is an overview of key steps required to complete the work and reopen the road.
• Stopped a wastewater overflow and found a leaking water main that contributed to the overflow and was not showing above ground.
• Installed a water valve to maintain service to customers.
• Turned off leaking portion of the water pipe.
• Inspected drinking water, wastewater pipes and storm drains to identify all necessary repairs.
• Installed another valve for pipe installation process.
• Installed new water pipes to maintain service long-term.
• Disconnect the leaking pipe from the water system.
• Excavate and replace an old brick manhole with a new precast concrete manhole.
• Add a new lining in wastewater pipes under railroad easement at a future date.
• Excavate and repair storm drain pipes under railroad crossing. Additional work required at a later date.
• Rebuild and reopen the road.
All of this while maintaining railroad for daily use by CSX. These repairs require extensive coordination with CSX and Charlotte Department of Transportation (CDOT). The goal is to maintain water service and access to businesses during the repair effort. Local traffic can drive around signs to access open businesses. Crews estimate completing the work around March 17th.